Determine Whether You Can File for Divorce in Washington State

One of the first questions to ask yourself – can you file for divorce in Washington State? Or, to put it in legal terms, does Washington State have jurisdiction over your divorce proceeding?

You can file for divorce in Washington State if one of these is true:

  • You live in Washington
  • Your spouse lives in Washington
  • You are in the military and stationed in Washington
  • Your military spouse will be stationed in Washington for at least 90 days after you file and serve the divorce.

That said, if your wife doesn’t live in Washington, then the state is limited on what type of orders it can issue – UNLESS one of these holds true:

  • Your spouse lived in Washington at some point during your marriage
  • One of your children was conceived in Washington
  • You still live, or are stationed in the armed forces, in Washington

If your spouse is Native American and lives on a reservation, then you may have to file your divorce in tribal court.

Go to Filing the Divorce Petition

Chad Foster is a trusted Washington lawyer serving Snohomish and King counties with an office in Bothell. Contact us today to discuss your legal issue.

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy