Temporary Parental Consent

There is a legal document that grants temporary parental consent for a child. It involves giving another adult the temporary authority to make decisions and take care of the child in question. This option is taken when both sides agree to the consent and the non-care giver is totally fine with the decision. Reasons for giving a temporary consent include the following:

  • Child neglect; however, this must come with substantial evidence.
  • If the child lives with you, then he must have lived with you for a specific period.
  • If both parents have agreed to let the child stay and live with you, then there must be parental consent.

It is important that a temporary parental consent is well-written and signed in a document for both parties to have. The agreement shows clearly that the parents have given you the proper authority to make decisions for the child. This authority includes educational decisions, financial decisions and other important decisions the child cannot take on her own.

For the parents, obtaining a parental consent agreement explicitly shows that they have not given up any parental rights or abandoned the child. This is because the parents can cancel or change the agreement at any point in time. For this reason, documentation of the original terms and conditions are needed. These agreements last only as long as both parties want, which might be adequate to meet your needs. However, be warned – a parent can take back the child at any point in time. This doesn’t matter the amount of time the child spent living with you.

Third Party Custody

It is also possible to get third-party custody. This means someone who is not the child’s biological parent can have legal custody of the child, and that include physically care and making decisions as regards to the child’s welfare. It is important to note that this type of custody does not terminate the rights the biological parents have. Therefore, it its different from adoption. A court order and a non-parental custody is usually needed.


Another option for non-parental caregivers is adoption. It is a legal process that creates a permanent parent-child relationship between people who are not related by birth. Once the adoption takes place, the child has the same exact rights as the biological child of the non-parental caregiver. The same applies for the parent as they have the same rights as a biological right. Adoption is a permanent decision, so it is always advisable to think through it before proceeding.

Weigh Your Options

Finally, ensure you weigh all the options available and choose the one that suitable fits your situation. Therefore, it is always advisable to use the services of a family lawyer or attorney. This attorney would be able to guide you in decision making, court orders, documentation and any other legal aid that you will need as a caregiver.

Chad Foster is a trusted family law and divorce lawyer serving Snohomish and King counties with an office in Bothell. Contact us today to discuss your legal issue.

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

Categorychild custody, elders